Social Tools Use Policy
These additional terms govern use of the Internet Social Tools (“private chat, public chat, group and forum, and any or all messaging HeyJinni messaging/communication tools”) at https://heyjinni.com (hereinafter “We”, “Us”, “Our” or “HeyJinni”). To use Our Social Tools you, the user, agree to these terms with HeyJinni, the platform that runs these feature services.
We may offer other products and services, under different terms.
• Important Terms
• Your Permission to Use the Social Tools
• Conditions for Use of the Social Tools
• Acceptable Use
• Content Standards
• Your Account
• Your Content
• Your Responsibility
• Limits on Liability
• General Terms
• What information do we collect?
• What do we use your information for?
• How do we protect your information?
• What is your data retention policy?
• Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
• Third party links
• Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
• Your Consent
• This is a Civilised Place for Public Discussion
• Improve the Discussion
• Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree
• Your Participation Counts
• If You See a Problem, Report It
• Always Be Civil
• Post Only Your Own Stuff
• Powered by You
• Terms of Service
1. These terms include a number of important provisions that affect your rights and responsibilities, such as the disclaimers in Disclaimers, limits on Our liability to you in Limits on Liability, your agreement to cover the company for damages caused by your misuse of the Social Tools in Responsibility for Your Use, and an agreement to arbitrate disputes in Disputes.
Your Permission to Use the Social Tools
2. Subject to these terms, We give you permission to use the social tools. Everyone needs to agree to these terms to use the Social Tools.
Conditions for Use of the Social Tools
3. Your permission to use the Social Tools is subject to the following conditions:
1. You must be at least 16 years old. If you are under 16 years old, you must have parental permission.
2. You may no longer use the Social Tools if We contact you directly to say that you may not.
3. You must use the Social Tools in accordance with Acceptable Use and Content Standards, in addition to any other terms and conditions of use.
4. Your permission to use the Social Tools is subject to the following Acceptable Use terms:
1. You may not break the law using the Social Tools.
2. You may not use or try to use another’s account on the Social Tools without their specific permission.
3. You may not buy, sell, or otherwise trade in user names or other unique identifiers on the Social Tools.
4. You may not send advertisements, chain letters, or other solicitations through the Social Tools, or use the Social Tools to gather addresses or other personal data for commercial mailing lists or databases.
5. You may not automate access to the Social Tools, or monitor the Social Tools, such as with a web crawler, browser plug-in or add-on, or other computer program that is not a web browser. You may crawl the Social Tools to index it for a publicly available search engine, if you run one.
6. You may not use the Social Tools to send e-mail to distribution lists, newsgroups, or group mail aliases.
7. You may not falsely imply that you’re affiliated with or endorsed by Us.
8. You may not hyperlink to images or other non-hypertext content on the Social Tools on other webpages.
9. You may not remove any marks showing proprietary ownership from materials you download from the Social Tools.
10. You may not show any part of the Social Tools on other websites with <iframe>.
11. You may not disable, avoid, or circumvent any security or access restrictions of the Social Tools.
12. You may not strain infrastructure of the Social Tools with an unreasonable volume of requests, or requests designed to impose an unreasonable load on information systems underlying the Social Tools.
13. You may not impersonate others through the Social Tools.
14. You may not encourage or help anyone in violation of these terms.
5. Your permission to use the Social Tools is subject to the following Content Standards terms:
1. You may not submit content to the Social Tools that is illegal, offensive, or otherwise harmful to others. This includes content that is harassing, inappropriate, or abusive.
2. You may not submit content to the Social Tools that violates the law, infringes anyone’s intellectual property rights, violates anyone’s privacy, or breaches agreements you have with others.
3. You may not submit content to the Social Tools containing malicious computer code, such as computer viruses or spyware.
4. You may not submit content to the Social Tools as a mere placeholder, to hold a particular address, user name, or other unique identifier.
5. You may not use the Social Tools to disclose information that you don’t have the right to disclose, like others’ confidential or personal information.
6. We may investigate and prosecute violations of these terms to the fullest legal extent. We may notify and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in prosecuting violations of the law and these terms.
7. HeyJinni reserves the right to change, redact, and delete content on the Social Tools for any reason. If you believe someone has submitted content to the Social Tools in violation of these terms, contact us immediately using the “Report Abuse” tool on the chat messaging tools.
8. You must create and log into an account to use features of the Social Tools.
9. To create an account, you must provide some information about yourself. If you create an account, you agree to provide, at a minimum, a valid e-mail address, and to keep that address up-to-date. You may close your account at any time. We would hate to see you go and so if there is an issue that you think we could satisfactorily address or a missing feature, you can always e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. You agree to be responsible for all action taken using your account, whether authorized by you or not, until you either close your account or notify the company that your account has been compromised. You agree to notify Us immediately if you suspect your account has been compromised. You agree to select a secure password for your account, and keep it secret.
11. We may restrict, suspend, or close your account on the Social Tools according to Our policy for handling copyright-related takedown requests, or if We reasonably believes that you’ve broken any rule in these terms.
12. Nothing in these terms gives Us any ownership rights in intellectual property that you share with the Social Tools, such as your account information, posts, or other content you submit to the Social Tools. Nothing in these terms gives you any ownership rights in Our intellectual property, either
13. Between you and Us, you remain solely responsible for content you submit to the Social Tools. You agree not to wrongly imply that content you submit to the Social Tools is sponsored or approved by Us. These terms do not obligate you to store, maintain, or provide copies of content you submit, and to change it, according to these terms.
14. Content you submit to the Social Tools belongs to you, and you decide what permission to give others for it. But at a minimum, you licence Us to provide content that you submit to the Social Tools to other users of the Social Tools. That special licence allows Us to copy, publish, and analyze content you submit to the Social Tools.
15. When content you submit is removed from the Social Tools, whether by you or by Us, Our special licence ends when the last copy disappears from Our backups, caches, and other systems. Other licences you apply to content you submit, such as Creative Commons licences, may continue after your content is removed. Those licences may give others, or HeyJinni itself, the right to share your content through the Social Tools again.
16. Others who receive content you submit to the Social Tools may violate the terms on which you licence your content. You agree that We will not be liable to you for those violations or their consequences.
17. You agree to indemnify Us from legal claims by others related to your breach of these terms, or breach of these terms by others using your account on the Social Tools. Both you and HeyJinni agree to notify the other side of any legal claims for which you might have to indemnify Us as soon as possible. If We fail to notify you of a legal claim promptly, you won’t have to indemnify Us for damages that you could have defended against or mitigated with prompt notice. You agree to allow Us to control investigation, defence, and settlement of legal claims for which you would have to indemnify Us, and to cooperate with those efforts. HeyJinni agrees not to agree to any settlement that admits fault for you or imposes obligations on you without your prior agreement.
18. You accept all risk of using the Social Tools and content on the Social Tools. As far as the law allows, HeyJinni and its suppliers provide the Social Tools as is, without any warranty whatsoever.
19. The Social Tools may hyperlink to and integrate Social Tools and services run by others. The company does not make any warranty about services run by others, or content they may provide. Use of services run by others may be governed by other terms between you and the one running service.
Limits on Liability
20. Neither HeyJinni nor its suppliers will be liable to you for breach-of-contract damages their personnel could not have reasonably foreseen when you agreed to these terms.
21. Please read our terms and conditions for additional important terms and information.
22. HeyJinni welcomes your feedback and suggestions for the Social Tools.
23. You agree that HeyJinni will be free to act on feedback and suggestions you provide, and that HeyJinni won’t have to notify you that your feedback was used, get your permission to use it, or pay you. You agree not to submit feedback or suggestions that you believe might be confidential or proprietary, to you or others.
24. Either you or HeyJinni may end the agreement written out in these terms at any time. When our agreement ends, your permission to use the Social Tools also ends.
25. The following provisions survive the end of our agreement: Your Content, Feedback, Your Responsibility, Disclaimers, Limits on Liability, and General Terms.
27. If a provision of these terms is unenforceable as written, but could be changed to make it enforceable, that provision should be modified to the minimum extent necessary to make it enforceable. Otherwise, that provision should be removed.
28. You may not assign your agreement with Us. We may assign your agreement to any affiliate of the HeyJinni, any other company that obtains control of HeyJinni, or any other company that buys assets of HeyJinni related to the Social Tools. Any attempted assignment against these terms has no legal effect.
29. Neither the exercise of any right under this Agreement, nor waiver of any breach of this Agreement, waives any other breach of this Agreement.
30. These terms embody all the terms of agreement between you and Us about use of the Social Tools. These terms entirely replace any other agreements about your use of the Social Tools, written or not.
31. You may notify Us under these terms, and send questions to Us, at email@example.com.
32. We may notify you under these terms using the e-mail address you provide for your account on the Social Tools, or by posting a message to the homepage of the Social Tools or your account page.
33. We last updated these terms on 27 June 2022, and may update these terms again. We will post all updates to the Website. For updates that contain substantial changes, We may e-mail you, if you’ve created an account and provided a valid e-mail address. We may also announce updates with special messages or alerts on the Social Tools.
34. Once you get notice of an update to these terms, your continuing use the Social Tools implies agreement to the updated terms.
What information do we collect?
35. We collect information from you when you register on our site and gather data when you participate in the Social Tools by reading, writing, and evaluating the content shared here.
36. When registering on our site, you will be asked to enter your name and e-mail address. You may, however, visit our site without registering. Your e-mail address will be verified by an email containing a unique link. If that link is visited, we know that you control the e-mail address.
37. When registered and posting, we may record the IP address that the post originated from. We also may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to our server.
What do we use your information for?
39. Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
1. To personalize your experience — your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
2. To improve our site — we continually strive to improve our site offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
3. To improve customer service — your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
4. To send periodic emails — The email address you provide may be used to send you information, notifications that you request about changes to topics or in response to your user name, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
How do we protect your information?
40. We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
What is our data retention policy?
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
43. We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
45. At our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our site. These third party sites have separate and independent policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
46. Our site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. If this server is in the USA, and you are under the age of 13, per the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act), do not use this site.
This is a Civilised Place for Public Discussion
51. Please treat the Social Tools with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.
52. These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of Our HeyJinni community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilised public discourse.
Improve the Discussion
53. Help us make this a great place for friendship and networking by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.
54. The topics discussed here matter to you, and we want you to act as if they matter to us, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.
55. One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the forums here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.
Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree
56. You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticise ideas, not people. Please avoid:
2. Ad hominem attacks
3. Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
4. Knee-jerk contradiction. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.
Your Participation Counts
57. The conversations we have here set the tone for every new arrival. Help us influence the future of this HeyJinni community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this Social Tools an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.
58. Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.
59. Let’s leave Our HeyJinni community better than we found it.
If You See a Problem, Report It
60. Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for the Social Tools. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be HeyJinni community facilitators, not just janitors or police.
61. When you see bad behaviour, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behaviour by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it by using the Report Abuse button. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
62. In order to maintain Our HeyJinni community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the HeyJinni community.
Always Be Civil
63. Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:
1. Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, racist, or hate speech.
2. Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
3. Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
4. Respect our Social Tools. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the Social Tools.
5. Don’t be a bully because bullying is self-destructive and we do not tolerate bullies.
64. These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the Daily Mirror.
65. This is a public Social Tools, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Post Only Your Own Stuff
66. You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.
Powered by You
67. This site is operated by you, the Jinni community. If you have any further questions about how things should work here, let’s discuss! If there’s a critical or urgent issue contact us.
Terms of Service
68. Yes, legalese is boring, but we must protect ourselves – and by extension, you and your data – against unfriendly folks. We have a Terms and Conditions of Service describing your (and Our) behaviour and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by our T&S.
Last updated: 27/06/2022